Interesting Problem

Hello, I have an '87 16v and the car runs fine but every once in awhile the
engine shuts off and turns right back on by itself.  The RPM's will zero out
and pop right back on without my doing anything and then I continue on my
way.  If I am driving at higher RPM's it usually just loses a little juice
and I can see the RPM's only going down a little.  I usually give it some
gas and it goes away.  It is pretty unpredictable.  If I am at idle it will
just sort of pop all over the place like a timing problem but then it goes
away.  Any ideas?