Body work Q: What's a good temp. covering?

steel will rust right through gray primer. as someone pointed out, gray
primer is pretty porous stuff.

Black paint is a no-no over black primer; you can't tell when you've got an
even color-coat applied.
I'd lay on a coat of flat-black lacquer, thin.  It will protect from
moisture and sands off very nicely.

Larry