Flushing the Cooling System was: (no subject)

Isidro Lepez wrote:

> Hey there folks.
>
> Well the weather here in spokane is finally becoming
> decently mild, and as a result the Rocco has had a
> chance to show me that it needs some work.  The temp
> on the rocco is a bit high when idling and i was
> hoping i could get some of your opinions on what i
> could use to flush the whole cooling system.
>
> I heard Phosphoric acid works well on disloving crap
> in the sytem.  Can anyone back this up, or give me an alternative?

Do not do this, it will weaken the metal in the coolant system.  Better
than acid would be a soap type product, something meant for this
operation.

There is a Purple Power product a fellow lister will help me identify (I
hope).

How high is high anyway? Maybe it's OK after all. Might just be a slow
thermostat that fails to open very much. Look to get a replacement if
you are going to flush the thing, don't slip by with one of those cheap
Kragen models either.

<http://www.parts4vws.com>  OR
<http://www.germanautoparts.com>

can hook you up.