Heater Blower question?

HowlingMonkey16v@aol.com wrote:

> I have officially gotten tired of having only 3rd speed on my heater
> and I want to fix it. I have tried changing the switch but that didn't
> work. I have been told by my friend that it could be the resistor, but
> I figure I would get some other suggestions before changing it. Also
> is it anything hard to change? From the looks of what the Bentley says
> it seems really easy being that it is right under the rain tray (he
> told me it was in the dash somewhere, but he is thinking of a GTI I
> think) Anyway any suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks,
>      Randy
>      87' 2.0L Rocco
>      "Special Broke Ass Ghetto Edition"

(I'll bet if you drop the special designation, life would improve.)

If you break out the multimeter you can tell if you are getting voltage
down the three other lines and what the resistance is like in the speed
load.  If you pull the plug off the back of the switch (like you would
have when you switched you can also test which is the 12v (bet it's the
RED one) and the others etc.

I am also wondering if your car is putting out very much voltage, are
you getting 13.5v (or more) measured across the battery's posts when the
car is running?

TBerk