Re: Cabriolet airbag question

Bill,

When taking Katy's 91 Cabby (with airbag) front bumper off, I found no
impact sensors in the bumper.  Actually, there aren't any in the car as
far as I can tell.  There is a Airbag control unit under the center
console that has a accelerometer (sp?) in it I think....lemme check the
wiring and get back to you...but you shouldn't have to worry.  If you are
worried, just disconnect the battery, thing can't fire if it doesn't have
juice.

Eric

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Bill Collins wrote:

> I'm buying the Carbiolet tonight!  I ordered the Bentley for it, but
> its not here yet, so I have to ask a question that I'm sure the
> Bentley would answer:
>
> I need to take the front bumper off to assess the extent of the damage.  Do I need to do anything to make sure the airbag doesn't deploy while I'm working on it?  Anybody have any experience with VW airbags?  I find it a bit strange that the front bumper is pushed in far enough to bend the sheet metal behind it (almost touching the A/C condenser), but the airbag is intact.
>
> Bill

Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox