Cabriolet airbag question

I'm buying the Carbiolet tonight!  I ordered the Bentley for it, but its not here yet, so I have to ask a question that I'm sure the Bentley would answer:

I need to take the front bumper off to assess the extent of the damage.  Do I need to do anything to make sure the airbag doesn't deploy while I'm working on it?  Anybody have any experience with VW airbags?  I find it a bit strange that the front bumper is pushed in far enough to bend the sheet metal behind it (almost touching the A/C condenser), but the airbag is intact.

Bill