Re: Blown head gasket??? {part 2}

So I do some looking last night at the car after work.
This is a 2.0l 8v ABA block engine.  Engine bay looks
fine. Tailpipe has a coating of black oil. Coolent is
brown but normal. Oil level is fine and looks ok.  I
then pull the spark plugs. 2-4 look perefect. #1 is
the problem. The plug is oil soaked. I stuck a
screwdriver down in to the cylinder and looks like
there is about a 1/4 inch of oil in there. So it is
either getting in there by a blown ring or the valve
stem seal. I am going to drain the oil to see if it is
the ring, but the oil on the dipstick looked real
clean. I would figure the oil would get dark if the
ring was bad. I also remember a slight ticking noise
when I started it  yesterday. I was thinking a valve
adjustment was needed.

So when I pull the head will it be noticable where the
oil is getting in?  If it is the rings will I have to
pull the engine?

thanks

mark hausler

--- Mark Hausler <mk1scirocco@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think I blew my head gasket last night. Here is
> what
> happened.
>
> I drive back from dinner late last night and notice
> my
> idle is running high. Pop the hood and everything
> seems fine. Smells a little like burning rubber but
> not bad at all. This morning the car was hard to
> start
> and had to keep the revs up just to keep it running.
> Time for a tune I tell myself. I get out to close
> the
> garage door and pop the hood to see if anything is
> noticable. Nothing strange under the hood. A little
> more white smoke out of the tail pipe but more like
> vapor. I drive off and in my rearview I notice a
> cloud
> left behind. At the first light I am waiting to
> turn,
> not much smoke then but when I take off I fill the
> while intersection. FUCK> . OK something is wrong.
> Turn around a go back home. At home the smoke is
> whiteish and smells burnt. Not heavy oil or heavy
> coolent. When I turn the car off  it runs on for a
> second or two.  I had no real power loss.  Does this
> sound like a head gasket?? Is there other things I
> need to replace at the same time if this is what it
> is? My engine only has 50,000 miles on it. Is there
> other side effects to this?
>
> help
>
> thanks
>

> =====