Shocks and Struts

Is there anyway to tell from the outside, without taking the shock/strut
out of the car, if it is a rebuildable or non-rebuildable. I am looking to
replace the shocks and struts on my 92 Jetta GL and I have no idea what is
under there. I also noticed one thing when I look online some of the places
list VIN RA, RV etc. I have the title sitting here and cannot find any of
these letter combinations with in the VIN for this car. Am I just retarded
and this means something else or what? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris