RE: Question on Engine Management Opinions.

> 1.  Do these systems control just the fuel management, or do they also
> control ignition as well?  IE: do they retard/advance timing as needed?  If
> so anyone have "simple" explanations of how.

Depends on system and money you spend on it. Usually ignition control
is done by hall sensor and then either by common distributor or separate
coils and ECU desides when to fire.

> 2.  Any opinions from anyone on the good points/bad points on any of these
> systems?  If I was to go and buy one, what should I watch out for.  I
> obviously am not a tuner.  Just getting into the performance thing, so user
> friendly would be nice :)

First write down the list you need to contorol. You've got to know quite
well what you need to control, but most of the systems can control almost
anything you only have to tell it when ordering the system. Ordering
additional options later can get costly... (Did that, forgot to order
the fuel pump relay driver).

> 3.  I already have 1/2 a turbo setup done, so the next obvious questions
> would be is any of the systems better suited for the forced induction?

AFAIK all of them can deal with turbo setup, only order the right MAP
sensor and other components.

> 4.  How reliable are these systems?  Usually I am a big advocate of less
> electronics are better.  But I have realized that in the performance arena,
> it seems to be the other way around.  Simple systems (like basic cis) work
> great for regular engines, but they seem to meat limitations very quickly.
> The last thing I want is to be forever chasing electronic gremlins through
> the system.

Usually reliable. It's easier to find problems also if you've got all the
control over things. It also does not need recalibrating all the time as
variables stay as they were put in there.

Lauri!
'84 2.0 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
http://www.eabc.edu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
I finally added something new to my site!