Question on Engine Management Opinions.

Okay,

I have been trying to follow the threads on engine management.  We seem to
have three systems in use here (TEC, SDS & the mega squirt thing I believe)

So.  Having a project on the go now I obviously have a whole bunch of
questions :)

1.  Do these systems control just the fuel management, or do they also
control ignition as well?  IE: do they retard/advance timing as needed?  If
so anyone have "simple" explanations of how.

2.  Any opinions from anyone on the good points/bad points on any of these
systems?  If I was to go and buy one, what should I watch out for.  I
obviously am not a tuner.  Just getting into the performance thing, so user
friendly would be nice :)

3.  I already have 1/2 a turbo setup done, so the next obvious questions
would be is any of the systems better suited for the forced induction?

4.  How reliable are these systems?  Usually I am a big advocate of less
electronics are better.  But I have realized that in the performance arena,
it seems to be the other way around.  Simple systems (like basic cis) work
great for regular engines, but they seem to meat limitations very quickly.
The last thing I want is to be forever chasing electronic gremlins through
the system.

Any info is appreciated.

Cory - The VW Addict.
86 8v (Just blew the engine - 8V 2L turbo soon!)
82 8v (Beater daily driver)