RE: problems cont (long)

Scott,

>I can't answer your questions but I can definitely point out where you lose
>me in your descriptions:
>
> > first off, i have a rebuilt 9A with a kraftswerk rebuilt 4K w/.71
> > 5th gear. redline MTL,
>
>Do you mean that you rebuilt your 9A transmission with 4k gears other than
>the taller 5th? Actually, aren't the 4k and the 9a trannies exactly the
>same
>except the 3.94 R&P? So, maybe you simply mean that you rebuilt the trans
>with the 3.94 and the .71? Does MTL offer enough friction for the synchros
>to work? I forget which is recommended.

I'm sorry, the engine is a 9A, 2.0 16v.  I guess I shouldve specified.  the
only reason I mentioned it is because I was messing with the thrust bearing
earlier...the transmission is a stock 4K except for the 5th gear.

>, i had a knocking noise when it was in neutral and the clutch
> > pedal was out. thought nothing of it, as everything worked perfectly.
>
>Where did the knocking come from? -the transmission or the head? The
>transmission bone and the cylinder head bone aren't exactly connected,
>though, so... The idea that the cams could affect your shifting problem
>escapes me.

It would have to have been from the tranmission/clutch area, as I cant
imagine a knocking noise from the head being induced by putting the clutch
pedal in or out.  Know what I mean?  I only heard the knocking noise when
the clutch pedal was out, and it was in neutral.  If I revved the engine the
knocking noise would go away.

I thought it might have something to do with the throwout bearing.

> > the problem started out with being a little difficult between shifts,
>
>-upshifts or downshifts or both? Did the problem occur more on one than the
>other? Did operating temperature ever affect the problem?

It seemd to me that the temperature had no bearing on the problem, except
that it seemed to work for a while right when the engine was started (maybe
1 min or so)...but its really hard to tell :(

But lets say I was in fourth cruising, and I wanted to downshift to third.
If I just did it normally, I would not be able to get into third.  But if I
revved the engine to about 4-5k, then it would slip in.  Upshifts were
normal, but like I said, it felt a little "crunchy" or "clunky" with normal
upshifts.  Like the gears werent completely disengaging.

Thanks again
Joe