Re: VR6 motor in a scirocco

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 21:05:44 -0700 "Dave Ewing" <rabbit16v@prodigy.net>
writes:
>ALL MK2 Sciroccos have the same amount of room under the hood but VR6s
>have been installed in MK1s also.  I have a couple questions for the
others
>that posted in response to this:
>1.  Has anyone on the list DRIVEN a VR6 Scirocco?

I can say that ive never driven a VR6 Scirocco. Although I bet it would
be alot of fun and sound really cool. This was a project dream I had a
year ago until.....

> 2.  How much heavier can a VR6 be compared to the 1.8T
>and all the extra plumbing/turbo/intercooler/etc?

Ok, after having driven quite a few VR6's and 1.8T's on a race track, I
can tell you that the 1.8T's were much faster in both straight line speed
and cornering speeds. (Stock suspensions on most of the cars that I
drove.) This is what made me completely change my mind about doing a VR6
conversion in my Roc. With the added expense and modifications that I
would have to do to make a VR fit and work for any amount of time, I
could have a 1.8T in the car instead for much less and ultimately have
more on tap power than the VR could give.
If my wife was still really set on having a VR6, I would simply buy a VR6
Corrado and be done with it. Both swaps are alot of work but me thinks
the 1.8T would be the better route to go. Still an expensive proposition
either way you look at it but better do'able in the end.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!