Re: VR6 motor in a scirocco

At 12:56 AM -0400 9/10/01, Shawn C Meze wrote:
>I can say that ive never driven a VR6 Scirocco. Although I bet it would
>be alot of fun and sound really cool. This was a project dream I had a
>year ago until.....

That's one thing that the VR will always have over a G60, or 1.8t, or
16v, or whatever.  It sounds COOL.  That high-pitched howl is a sound
that only comes from one motor in the VW world.  However.....

>conversion in my Roc. With the added expense and modifications that I
>would have to do to make a VR fit and work for any amount of time, I
>could have a 1.8T in the car instead for much less and ultimately have
>more on tap power than the VR could give.

A 1.8t in a scirocco, with an intercooler but running stock boost,
will put the hurt on any 16v anyone cares to build.  I know because I
drove Kelly's car in its initial stage of completion.  I can only
guess at how it would stack up against a VR, but I bet it would be
extremely close given the weight difference and comparable torque/hp
curves.  Plus, since the VR6 has very limited bolt-on potential (It's
pretty tough to get past 210hp in a VR6) versus the 1.8t's virtually
unlimited potential (300hp out of a 1.8t has been done), the 1.8t
swap makes even more sense.  I know there's a VR6 turbo in a Mk1 in
Germany or whatever, but nobody's seen detailed pics of that
conversion.  Cutting holes in the firewall etc to clearance a turbo
is not cool in my books...