RE: what now? (update!)

Doesn't look that bad.

What I'd do:
First clean everything up and see if there's any cracks.
Then see if the valves are ok (not bent).
Then take the head apart (cams, valves out).
Then you can look once more for cracks.
Small cracks in not very important areas can be welded.
Not important crack is crack between two water lines
or crack between two intake ports of same cylinder etc.
Then let somebody to smoothen the surface of the head.
If it looks ok after that put it back together.
You certainly need a new piston, best would be 4 new pistons.
New gasket, head screws, etc.
Then start looking for the cause.
It could be just bad piston or insufficent fuel feed to
the failed cylinder so check the injectors for proper fueling.
One more thing to check is the oil squirters under the pistons
maybe one of them has glogged up. I had to swap all 4 of them.
Then put it back togeteher, change the spark plugs and off you go.

That was easy to explain try to do it. :)

Lauri!
'84 2.0 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
http://www.eabc.edu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
I finally added something new to my site!