Re: what now?

I would vote more for a burnt or bent valve.  Plus, with the wet test it
didn't go up enough to worry about rings.  First things first, take a half
an hour and pull the head and have a looksie unless you have a bore scope!!
Worst case scenerio is a burnt piston but kinda doubt it.  Where are you?
Good luck!!

Dave

P.S.  8v or 16v?  I got a spare 1.8 16v head!