RE: sequential shift transmission conversion!

> I agree with Eric on this one and actually up it one, the benefit to a
> sequentail shifter is this. You can't miss the next shift either up or down,
> limiting the amount of damage to the powertrain and drivetrain by those
> missed shifts waaaaa 5th downshift 2nd WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (shit 2nd gear)
> Compression braking is not harmful to an engine as long as you don't miss
> the shift sequence. It could be detrimental if you went from 4th to 1st at
> 50 mph. Also if you ever watch any real racing (F1) watch the exhuast pop
> when they downshift entering a corner (compression braking baby), diesel
> engine do this all the time called Jake Braking (is not permitted in some
> areas, back me up on that one Eric). Thats that
> babababababababababababababababababa you here when  a diesel is control
> their speed without the assistance of brakes. Eric is right it can extend
> the service life of brakes by double, the other benefit is that there is no
> possibility of locking the wheels up with the bakes and starting a slide.

Brian, Jake Braking is a bit more complex on diesels, as regular engine
braking doesn't work as well on a diesel.  I haven't exactly learned what
jake brakes do...some sort of increased exhaust back pressure device I
think.  One thing I really want to learn about is on my TDI, the window
sticker lists a feature called EBC (engine braking control)...I want to
know how this works and what it does! :-)  But as far as jake brake sound,
you have that dead right.

> But at $15000 for a tranny I'll continue to row through the gears right now.

Ah, thats just it, this item we were originally discussing is a shifter
replacement only, the tranny stays stock.  Only to be used on the cable
shifter trans though...and it costs $800!

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
79 Scirocco (Parts car)
80 Scirocco (Parts car)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic (Katy's Daily Driver)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox