how can I confirm the quality of a lightened flywheel?

The person I bought my 9A block from threw in the
lightened flywheel he was going to install with it.
However, the flywheel (and the block to some degree)
were exposed to excessive air moisture (fog). But
since the flywheel has a larger degree of surface
roughness, it's taken on a bit more rust. WD40 and a
wire brush took off most of it and then I got my drill
out with the wire-wheel and WD40 and seemed to get
almost all of it. Am I wasting time? How much would
the rust actually affect it? On the other hand, how
can I confirm I didn't compromise the integrity of the
flywheel? As you can tell, I'm not totally clear on
the activities that go on in the bell housing. I just
don't want to throw it there without hopefully
verifying it's still intact....

Thanks for the help - JT