Re: how can I confirm the quality of a lightened flywheel?

AFA cast iron, rust is not your enemy.  It is your friend.  New
castings are routinely left in the weather to condition them, so don't
worry about rust affecting the structural integrity of your flywheel.

Moving to that topic, you will want all the rust removed of
course...using WD40 is probabaly not a great idea since you may now
have oil impregnated into the surface.  IMO, your best bet is to just
have the thing sandblasted.  Try a local machine shop, or maybe your
local vo-tech high school can do it for super-cheap.  I blasted my
rusty flywheel and the surface was perfectly acceptable for accepting a
new clutch disk.  If severely pitted, it may be time for a re-surface
or the trash.

Squirt some Rustoleum on the backside before installing.

If you're still worried about structural integrity, have it blasted
then Magna-fluxed for cracks...probably not a bad idea if you're
worried about it's origins.  The same shop that balances it can
probably magna-flux it.

You *are* going to have it balanced with your PP attached, right?
RIGHT????

:)

Ron
--- Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The person I bought my 9A block from threw in the
> lightened flywheel he was going to install with it.
> However, the flywheel (and the block to some degree)
> were exposed to excessive air moisture (fog). But
> since the flywheel has a larger degree of surface
> roughness, it's taken on a bit more rust. WD40 and a
> wire brush took off most of it and then I got my drill
> out with the wire-wheel and WD40 and seemed to get
> almost all of it. Am I wasting time? How much would
> the rust actually affect it? On the other hand, how
> can I confirm I didn't compromise the integrity of the
> flywheel? As you can tell, I'm not totally clear on
> the activities that go on in the bell housing. I just
> don't want to throw it there without hopefully
> verifying it's still intact....
>
> Thanks for the help - JT

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump