RE: MAJOR problem discovered

humm, the 8v 85 came with 2 kinds of coils, one with a pin and one
without a pin in the coil spark plug wire,
I had to bring my own to make sure I had the correct one on my
car.. perhaps yours was like this ?
the one mine uses is the no-pin model coil, and as I understand it,
it was used on the 16v as well.
Vw is know for swapping parts between year models depending on part
available, could this be a case of this?
I am not aware of any 1988 rocco's being 8v models (last year being
87 as far as I know (could be incorrect here)
and would be an 87 coil setup from an 8v (see note about vw and
using spare parts on cars)

Patrick