Re: [FSOT?] Moving Victor (my car) along? Need opinions...

--- Cheapass Ron <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I'd be interested in opinions on whether this is a good idea (there's a
> chance that either car would be driven through the winter here in
> Cincy), how much more competitive I'd be, how much I'd find a running,
> very solid Mk1 w/ reasonable interior for, whether what I could get for
> Victor would cover that cost, etc.

Hey Ron,

  You're a nut!  ;)
I can totally understand your thought about getting
a mk1 for autocross...which is exactly why I own both...my 16v and
my '80... hehe...
  If you are looking at getting a mk1, DON'T plan on driving it in the
winter... or else you'll only be driving it a short while...before
the floors and axles rust away!  You really should come over one of
these days and take a good look at what a mk1 looks like that was driven
in the winter...and while you're over, you can grab the welder or the
fiberglass and help me repair rust holes!  ;0
Now that I own this mk1, it won't see another winter, but what a toll
it takes on these cars...not good.

  If you want to really seriously prep a car for auto-x, then just find
a way to get *another* car... keep Victor for your fun daily driver and
find a cheap mk1 to fix up and autocross!  (I know, this would be the
ideal situation...)

Oh, and about which car would be more competitive...depends what class.
I will be finding the answer to this question next season once my mk1
is ready... just with it's lighter weight I'm imagining that the mk1
would be more fun on the track... I sure do miss driving my '81  :(

Well, there's my few cents worth.

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v (in pain)