RE: Is this something i can do?

> For those of you have already done this, do you need
> any tools (specialized) to complete the job?  Is this
> something i could do myself or should i just take it
> to a local shop?

I just finished doing this Monday night.  First time (17 years and
195,000 miles old), and it wasn't too bad. Even if you have to buy a
few tools, you will still save money doing it yourself, plus you'll
have the tools for future use!  I broke a brand new Craftsman socket
extension reinstalling the axle nut, which Sears should replace no
question (I hope).

Since everything is apart, now is also a good time to replace
struts/springs/strut bearings/cv joints if needed.

Below is a very quick write up til I have time to put a page up.
Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

HTH!

Greg :)
http://www.DriversFound.com
http://www.GAKMotorsports.com

---------------
Tools:
17mm socket/wrench (strut, ball joint)
19mm socket/wrench (tierod)
30mm socket (axle nut)
4+ foot breaker bar ( to remove/install axle nut)
Gear puller (to disconnect tierod)
Allen wrench (to remove caliper)

---------------
Procedure:
Loosen axle nut.
Loosen wheel lugs.
Secure vehicle on jack stands.
Remove wheel.
Remove caliper (secure out of way), brake pads, and rotor.
Disconnect tierod.
Disconnect swaybar from control arm.
Remove balljoint bolt.
Whack control arm near ball joint a few times with a big hammer to pop
it out of the wheel bearing housing (wbh).
Remove axle nut.
Note position of bolts that attach the wbh to strut and remove them.
Pull wbh off of axle.
Take wbh and new bearings to machine shop and have them remove old and
press in new bearings.
Reinstall everything.

---------------
Misc.
This is a great time to replace the struts, springs, and strut
bearings if needed.
Also a great time to remove the axle and replace/repack CV joints.
Very easy to pull axle straight out with the strut housing removed.

---------------
Costs:
Wheel bearing: $18.48 each x 2
Hub: $19.20 each x 2
Machine shop: $65.00 total
Misc. new nuts/bolts: $3.00

Comparison:
The dealer allocates 4 hours to do both sides complete.  At $63.00/
hour, that is $252.00 for labor.
The dealer allocates 1 hour per side to remove old and press in new
bearings if you bring them the wheel bearing housing.