I bought the Roc! (now for some engine questions)

I bought an '86 Scirocco Saturday and its in need of a bottom end rebuild.  Its a JH engine, with with a head that has been recenly ported and polished.

Some questions:

1. The PO installed the cam from an '84 GTI.  Is this a good thing?
2. When I have the engine apart, is there anything I should consider doing to increase performance?
3. Any other mods that would be good to do while I have the engine out? (the car already has a header exhaust, Eurosport intake, and K&N air filter, in additon to the head work)

Bill

'86 Scirocco (w/ attached tow bar)
'90 Cabriolet (almost running now)
'84 Vanagon
'86 Jetta
'88 Trooper (oh well, at least it can tow the Scriocco home)

Hmmm.... Do I see a VW addiction?