Re: I bought the Roc! (now for some engine questions)

1.  The JH motor is the same as the motor in the GTI I believe.  The letter
designation is the entire motor including head and the JH designation is a
1.8L bottom end with solid lifter head and higher compression.  If he
actually put a GTI cam in this motor he did nothing for the performance
unless he was replacing a worn cam then it would still be stock.

2.  Most performance increases (other than increased displacement) is going
to be of the bolt on variety or in the head which is supposedly done (??).
You can examine the head once it is off to see if the work was done but I
would at least add a real cam!!

3.  Cam and adjustable sprocket, header or 4 into 2 manifold w/exhaust,
bigger TB and port intake to match unless it has been done (not too
knowledgeable on what they did to the 86), fuel enrichment, K&N, 16v air box
or cut your 8v box correctly, you could check all the normal stuff like
injectors (have them checked for spray etc.), seals, hoses, etc.  This is
the cheap stuff since there are other things to consider if your budget was
unlimited (Turbo, 2.1L 16v with aftermarket F.I., etc.).

HTH!

Dave

> I bought an '86 Scirocco Saturday and its in need of a bottom end rebuild.
Its a JH engine, with with a head that has been recenly ported and polished.

> Some questions:
>
> 1. The PO installed the cam from an '84 GTI.  Is this a good thing?
> 2. When I have the engine apart, is there anything I should consider doing
to increase performance?
> 3. Any other mods that would be good to do while I have the engine out?
(the car already has a header exhaust, Eurosport intake, and K&N air filter,
in additon to the head work)