Re: Valve seal removal

I have used a tool that my father-in-law made,  Its basically a small flat blade screwdriver with the last 1/8 of the tip bent over at 90 degrees.  You just slip it in beside the seal and lift it out.  I don't know exactly how he made the tool, but I suspect it was heated and then dunked in water to re-temper the steel after bending.  I think I have seen valve seal removal tools on web sites like Adirondack or Potterman's.

>Can anyone show me a good way for removing the valve seals?  This is
>for a solid lifter 8V head from a JH.  I managed to remove one, >microgram by
>microgram, by picking at it with needle nose pliers.  I didn't see any
>removal tools at my local Kragen.  Do I have to pay to have this >done?
>p.s.  What is "flaps" in reference to auto parts stores?

flaps = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (the place just around the corner that never seems to have much VW stuff in stock)

Bill