rear axle stud

This afternoon I was helping a friend fix a brake line that broke on the
rear axle of his mk1 jetta.  Well, to get the old line out, we had to drop
the rear axle.  Whilst undoing the axle nuts, one of the studs broke off.
SHIT!

so, has anyone else had this happen to them?  and if so, what did you do
about it?

I can't really figure out a way to fix it very easily.  can he drive the car
the way it is for now, or should it be fixed right away?  there is still
about 3/8" of stud sticking out, but not enough to get a nut on.

TIA
Casey
84 Roc .. still no exhaust
78 Bunny .. finally with brakes that work!