RE: Need suggestions if I should repair my 84 or get a new car(long)

Personally, I think it is a matter of how much you need a car.
Working on a car you love is one of the most rewarding things you can
do, and a great way to express yourself. However, if you live in a
spread out city like L.A. or Houston, going without transportation
between repairs can be difficult if not unbearable. Once you get the
car fixed up, it can be a joy, but when the car isn't working, it can
be a real pain to deal with everyone you know ribbing you about how
your car never runs.

If you have another form of transportation (friends, parents) then
when you are young is one of the best times to fix up a car, since
you don't have as many financial obligations as you do later in life,
and I would say go for it. If, on the other hand, you need the car to
get to a job everyday after school, and you have no other way to get
there, then a fixer-upper might not be such a great idea. I have had
three (or four depending on how you count it) Sciroccos over the
years as well as a Triumph Spitfire, and BMW 530i, a VW Fox, and
Nissan 240Z. Of all of them, I have definitely settled on Sciroccos
as my all time perfect car, because once you get them fixed up
nicely, they are really reliable, and a blast to drive, but until you
get them all fixed up, they breakdown a lot! I would not recommend a
Scirocco that is in disrepair as your only car unless you are either
going to dump a lot of money into it very quickly, or are prepared to
go without a car for stretches of time.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.