Re: Need sugestions if I should repair my 84 or get a new car(long)

I understand what you mean.  I tend to be different
from the typical person in my school who pefers the
American muscle or Rice Burners.  In other words when
I tell someone I have an 84 VW the first thing they
think is a Beetle.  I just call my car a Gti since it
the most common VW that is moded and tell them the
differences since none would now what the a Scirocco
is or even a Corrado.  I also like to be different
from other people in terms of cars like every Asian
firend that i have likes Japanese cars, but me being
Asian I like German cars instead.
--- Dave Ewing <rabbit16v@prodigy.net> wrote:
> First, you are asking the wrong people if you want
> an unbiased opinion,
> especially when you mention something like the
> "Echo"!!  Blech!!  I would
> most defineately keep the Scirocco, UNLESS, you like
> to make car payments (I
> don't), you want to carry full coverage (as a
> teenager, could be more than
> the car payment!!), you like to be a loner (ain't
> gonna impress anyone in
> that Echo), and you want to pay an arm and a leg for
> upgrade mods for your
> Echo that amount to clear tail lights, stickers,
> wheels, tip, etc.  Now, if
> you KEEP the Scirocco, the repairs get easier and
> easier as you do more of
> it yourself, it also gets cheaper as you do more
> yourself AND become more
> creative about where and how you get your parts (no,
> I'm not talking about
> Midnight Auto).  On top of everything else, which no
> doubt will be mentioned
> in other responses, you will not be enjoying the
> character of a classic car
> that can still out run most newer cars stock.  MANY
> people have bought newer
> cars (even VWs) and still like to drive their older
> Scirocco/Rabbit more
> than their GTI, New Beetle, etc.  I met an older guy
> (had to be in his 70s)
> sitting in his pristine stock 77 Rabbit outside of
> Safeway one day.  I took
> a look at it thinking of maybe offering him
> something for it when he started
> a conversation with me saying that he has a brand
> new Buick at home but
> prefers driving the Rabbit because it's more fun!!
>
> Dave

=====
-Andrew
1984 Black Scirocco(stock)