Re: Need sugestions if I should repair my 84 or get a new car(long)

First, you are asking the wrong people if you want an unbiased opinion,
especially when you mention something like the "Echo"!!  Blech!!  I would
most defineately keep the Scirocco, UNLESS, you like to make car payments (I
don't), you want to carry full coverage (as a teenager, could be more than
the car payment!!), you like to be a loner (ain't gonna impress anyone in
that Echo), and you want to pay an arm and a leg for upgrade mods for your
Echo that amount to clear tail lights, stickers, wheels, tip, etc.  Now, if
you KEEP the Scirocco, the repairs get easier and easier as you do more of
it yourself, it also gets cheaper as you do more yourself AND become more
creative about where and how you get your parts (no, I'm not talking about
Midnight Auto).  On top of everything else, which no doubt will be mentioned
in other responses, you will not be enjoying the character of a classic car
that can still out run most newer cars stock.  MANY people have bought newer
cars (even VWs) and still like to drive their older Scirocco/Rabbit more
than their GTI, New Beetle, etc.  I met an older guy (had to be in his 70s)
sitting in his pristine stock 77 Rabbit outside of Safeway one day.  I took
a look at it thinking of maybe offering him something for it when he started
a conversation with me saying that he has a brand new Buick at home but
prefers driving the Rabbit because it's more fun!!

Dave