Need sugestions if I should repair my 84 or get a new car(long)

Well my parents don't really want me spending 2000
dollars on a car that is nearly 20 years old(the car
is going to be 20 years old by the time I graduate
from High School!).  THey think it is better to buy a
new car that is suitble to a first car for a Teenage
like the Echo :(  Ever since my scirocco was finaly up
and running something about makes me want to keep it
and repair it over a brand new car and non of the new
cars that I have seen they do not appeal to me since
they lack the taste and style of an older VW.  I have
2000 dollars in the back for using for whatever car I
use for it.  I also think since I would be the only
one at school with a Scirocco find the car in a
parking lot would be easier.  Also a lot of the new
cars are to quiet for my me and I pefer the harsh ride
since I have been in other VW's with a harsh ride and
a soft ride gives me head-aches.  The other option is
when my dad gets a new car I get his 87 Quantum which
is ok by and the Scirocco can be a project car.
Sorry for being long I just need to hear other opinions

=====
-Andrew
1984 Black Scirocco(stock)
aw614.topcities.com/1984.htm