Re: Clutch pushrod/throwout bearing

> The lever can move by hand a lot when it's free, this slack is usually
> kept taut by the clutch cable.

Yep, it was just a surprising amount of movement.

> Self adjusting or manual adjusting clutch cable?

Self-adjusting. But I've only played with the adjustment for about 20
minutes. Tomorrow I'm going to go back out there and fiddle with it some
more. I've been away from my car for two weeks.

> And the bearing is behind that little green endcap, look to replacing
> the cap when you pull it off. The pushrod is an easy thing to replace
> too, if the bearing is out of the way.

After prying the endcap off how hard is it to replace the bearing? Do you
have to remove the return spring or anything? I'd be delighted it it was
easy as pry, change, re-install.

> > The seal kit also came with a little bronze gear -- what is that?
> Yeah, it looks like a gear but it a soft metal bushing for the pushrod
> to slide in, it's located behind the pushrod seal. In order to replace
> it I usually tap it into little chunks with a hammer and chisel, only a
> little at a time to avoid bit flying back in where they shouldn't. I
> think it has a self lubricating property, being it's not meant to grind
> up the pushrod.

Oh, crap. I didn't change that! The pushrod did seem to have quite a bit
of jiggle-around play, though. I hope it won't wreck the new pushrod seal
prematurely and leak oil all over my clutch (again).

> The grease on the splines is a great idea, my old 77 sat for a long time
> and one day I got it on the road to drive where the bus wouldn't take
> me; I could not get it into gear, until a few miles down the road it
> unstuck itself. Later I found out the need for grease on the splines
> when I had done that clutch job a month or so back.

Huh. Good thing I did it :)

> Q.- Did you replace the clutch cable too?

No but I did about a year and a half ago and it seems to be in great
health.

> TBerk

Thanks,

-Toby