Re: Clutch pushrod/throwout bearing

"T. Reed" wrote:

> Hey all,
> After changing my clutch disc and pressure plate 2 weeks ago, I've only
> driven the car around the block twice since but I've been reading up on a
> concern I had when re-installing the tranny.
> Basically with the brand new clutch parts, I could lift up the clutch
> lever on the tranny for like 5 inches on the end with minimal resistance.
<snip>

The lever can move by hand a lot when it's free, this slack is usually
kept taut by the clutch cable.

> So looking at the way the clutch mechanism is operated my guess is that I
> have either a worn down pushrod or throwout bearing.
<snip>

Self adjusting or manual adjusting clutch cable?

And the bearing is behind that little green endcap, look to replacing
the cap when you pull it off. The pushrod is an easy thing to replace
too, if the bearing is out of the way.

> The seal kit also came with a little bronze gear -- what is that?

Yeah, it looks like a gear but it a soft metal bushing for the pushrod
to slide in, it's located behind the pushrod seal. In order to replace
it I usually tap it into little chunks with a hammer and chisel, only a
little at a time to avoid bit flying back in where they shouldn't. I
think it has a self lubricating property, being it's not meant to grind
up the pushrod.

> Anyway if anyone can confirm or deny my diagnosis or offer additional
> insight I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks,
> -Toby
> '87 16v

The grease on the splines is a great idea, my old 77 sat for a long time
and one day I got it on the road to drive where the bus wouldn't take
me; I could not get it into gear, until a few miles down the road it
unstuck itself. Later I found out the need for grease on the splines
when I had done that clutch job a month or so back.

Q.- Did you replace the clutch cable too?

TBerk