Porsche 924 rack into Scirocco?

     IIRC, someone recently mentioned that the manual steering rack from a
Porsche 924 is a quicker replacement for the one in a Mk.1 Scirocco.  I took
a cursory peek at one from the junkers and it doesn't look like the one in
my car; for instance the rack bushings look different.  So, can anyone
confirm or deny the interchangeability of the two racks?  Getting tired of
the sawing of the Scirocco steering wheel (but don't want to go assisted).
Thx, benton----

p.s.  Can the power rack be used as a manual if it is drained and
disconnected from the pump?  This has been mentioned but I don't know if
anybody has actually done this.