RE: Roll Cage rules ?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> FYI, roll bars and 6-pt cages are also legal in SP...in fact there is no
> requirement for any rollover protection. 6/8-pt weld-in IT cages are also
> now legal in Solo-II SP classes, which is how I know this stuff. I procured
> a never-finished ITC project that will be running the new Street Modified
> class sometime later next year. It came with a 6-pt welded-in cage (doesn't
> have the two forward points to the firewall).

Me too, (street modified that is...) but I cant really see the wisdom of a
brace to the firewall in an a1 its not that strong of a structure, nor is
it all that far forward.  I was reading on a couple of sites that to the
towers is allowed, as of feb. for IT, but I could be wrong, at least I've
seen some pix of production cars with just such a brace... I cant find any
rule in the feb.(jan?) GCR addendum that says either way.

My plan is for a Scirocco II, caged, 2l 16v t3 turbo programmable EFI &
electronic boost control. Already bought the EFI, buying the 2l this
weekend, negotiating on a couple of scoroccos... so im making progress :)

> Speaking of which, I wouldn't even THINK about buying/building a cage
> without owning the appropriate rulebook for your intended class, no matter
> what us "experts" might tell you. That's an expensive thing to screw-up. :)

true, I am just waiting for 2002 rules to be published, seem silly to buy
2001 rulebook now, correct me if i'm wrong :)

take care,

Steve