RE: Roll Cage rules ?

You mention IT, so I assume that's what you're talking about. The rules are
different for ProRally, and Solo/Solo-II rules vary depending on the class.

AFAIK, in IT an 8-pt, welded cage is legal and recommended. I'm pretty sure
that 6-pt cages are legal too (see below). This would include the main hoop,
rear diagonal points, a front hoop, and two points from the front hoop to
the firewall...(counts on fingers)...yup, that's 8. I don't have the
official GCR book, but according to the Solo-II book's section which
references it, attaching to the strut towers is ILLEGAL.

FYI, roll bars and 6-pt cages are also legal in SP...in fact there is no
requirement for any rollover protection. 6/8-pt weld-in IT cages are also
now legal in Solo-II SP classes, which is how I know this stuff. I procured
a never-finished ITC project that will be running the new Street Modified
class sometime later next year. It came with a 6-pt welded-in cage (doesn't
have the two forward points to the firewall).

Speaking of which, I wouldn't even THINK about buying/building a cage
without owning the appropriate rulebook for your intended class, no matter
what us "experts" might tell you. That's an expensive thing to screw-up. :)

Neal