Bad end of day with my 82

OK, the PO is killin' me.  I feel like a star when I work on my 86,
because most things I do, have never been done before.  There are more
mistry bolts, wires, and patches on this 82 than I've ever seem before.
I got the new head on. Started on setting the timeing and what do you
know.  There are 3 different kinds of heads on the crank pulley.  The
last 6mm allen one, is rounded out.  I'd like help one one of two
things.
1. How do I get the bolt out
or
2. How do I set the timings removing the bottom half of the old style
timebelt cover

The car was kind of hopped up.  g-grind, big throdel body, patched
intake from too much grinding, 4-2 manifold, belt bypass of the ac.  I
never knew what all the hub-bub was about removing the ac before I saw
this car.  My 86 ac just has a toothed bracket holding it on.  The 82
must have 30 pounds of steel just to hold the ac. WTF is that?  If VW
had put half of that effort to hold the compressor in place into making
stronger door handles, we'd all be better off.
--
Kervin
80 1.7 8v