RE: adios

Well, I went through this back when I first had the idea, and to tell
the truth while there are a few real benefits to using a control
system instead of a bunch of relays, it is really more of an esthetic
thing for me. The relays do a fine job of what they do, and they are
certainly cheap enough, but I was an electronics geek long before I
was a Scirocco geek, and electromechanical relays just plain seem
ludicrously outdated to me. It is like having a fuel control system
using vacuum tubes!

As far as the actual benefits go, there is the fact that it can be
waterproofed, there is also the fact that it can be made very easy to
install, and it will look much cooler under the hood than a bunch of
relays. I was also thinking about the possibility of building in a
port for a light sensor, so that the lights would automatically
switch on when it got dark. It could also house a circuit breaker, so
that you would not need to worry about fuses giving out on you, and
it could be built to handle just about any wattage of H4 bulb. I
think the biggest advantage for anyone who isn't actually having to
build it, is that you would have a labeled row of input ports, and a
labeled row of output ports, making installation a breeze. And did I
mention it would just plain look cool?:) The main thing is that it
allows me to eliminate a rat's nest of wires by organizing them on a
PCB instead of having them tangled up in the engine bay.

Mainly, I spent enough on the euro lights that I don't really mind
putting some more money into designing a light control system, and it
sounds like fun. Aside from that, there is the fact that it is a
great first step to my ultimate goal of replacing all of my car's
relays and fuses with one ECU and harness that has built in circuit
breakers.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.