Re: thoughts on breathing - long

I put a audi 5000 SW throttle body into my '83 1.8 8V
and I quite like the power increase.  I used a 3"
black ABS sewer pipe to replace the stock intake pipe.
It was hard work getting the stock rubber boots to fit
around the pipe.  I had to cut the pipe at an exact
angle on both ends with a hacksaw.  I also had to take
my power grinder and make the pipe a bit thinner at
the ends, so that I could get the boots around it.  In
my opinion, things would be much easier for you if you
can get some 3" copper pipe.  It can be found
somewhere, just not here in Vancouver Canada.  One
other thing, it is not as easy as other people tell
you to change the throttle linkage from your stock
throttle body to the audi throttle body.  There are a
whole whack of springs and shafts that can NOT be
pulled off of the Audi one.  It might be that the one
I got was peculiar.  Anyhow, I took the Audi linkage,
hacksawed some pieces off, and welded the appropriate
piece in the right spot.  That was a LOT easier than
trying to pull off the pieces.  It is important to
weld the bracket in the exact spot so that you have
your full pedal travel and that you don't have the
throttle binding anywhere.  It took me two tries to
get it right.  It's a bit hair trigger right now, but
it works OK.  I haven't gotten around to swiss
cheesing my airbox, so I'm doing the very nasty
incorrect thing by leaving the clips undone on my
airbox.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT