Parts cars Counterpoint

Thanks for your opinion, Daun. Indeed the price was just way too much for my
'78, or else someone would have bought it. Nonetheless, I still feel like it
was a reasonable price at the time. My math went something like this.

Bought car with Zender/Kamei body kit in good shape for $1,900.
Bought A4 2.0-liter 8V Motronic engine and harness for $1,600
Set of Borbet Type C 15" wheels with tires for $1,000
Got the car painted silver for $1,200
Then came the mail order goodies. Prices are best-guess:
Autotech hollow alum. rear tie bar $50
Neuspeed rear swaybar $130
Tokico HP shocks and Neuspeed springs ($300+)
Heavy duty and polyurethane mounts/bushings/strut bearings $75
Neuspeed/Schrick 5 qt. alum oil pan ($250)
Beru 8mm wires ($80)
Techtonics 2.25" exhaust ($200)
TT dual downpipe $150
TT/GIAC chip $100
Neuspeed P-Flow $150
Momo Super Anatomic shift knob $65
Momo pedal covers $35
Autometer Oil pressure gauge. $40

I now have $7325 invested in the car...

Then the used, but not still valuable stuff:
4k tranny (let's say $75)
Like new reupholstered interior (black/red) (call it $225)
16V triangulated front lower stress bar (how about $15)

With those, I'm up to $7640.

Using the random "just way to much" price generator, I determined I should
lop $4840 off that figure and sell it for $2800, of course not charging
anything for the blood, sweat and tears.

Perhaps $995 would have been a more reasonable price.

As far as junking Sciroccos, I look at it this way. If someone wants the
body, I'll give them a title. The car has been painted three times now and
would need to be stripped to bare metal for a good de-rusting and
restoration. I Don't have the time, space, expertise or money to do that.
So, I guess you're right again, Daun. Anyway, the car's getting parted. I
won't make $2800, but it will make a lot of other Sciroccos a lot nicer, so
all is not lost.

JR