RE: Anyone looking for parts?

> And no one got personal with him??  Come on!!

The first response to JP came by way of Brett commenting about sending
purely commercial posts to the list. It was a professionally worded
advisement -not a personal attack. A few folks got rambunctious with their
should have known better than to join a list and debut by "spamming" the
list. It very well could have been how he did it rather than *that* he did
it. Then the majority of the negativity flew once he started fighting back.

> Dude, c'mon, can't we all just hit our delete
> buttons if we see something we don't want?  I do it all the time!!!

I definitely agree with the delete first; enforce policy method second idea.
That's why the whole Jonas Miller contreversy got way out of control. Then
again, Scirocco-l is more than just a bunch of random posters like say...
rec.autos.volkswagen.watercooled or whatever. This group has developed its
own culture and expectations. JP violated them big time! How often are
people flamed around here?

> And, we taught him some social skills huh!?

Hey, I remember when I shot off the mouth about people posting about
Scirocco sightings. I thought it was a totally stupid waste of bandwidth. I
was less than friendly about how I made my point and you know what? I got
some hate mail. However, I sucked it up, realized that my position was out
of step with how the list felt about it and that was that.

> No offense Scott, just trying to make a point.

-none taken whatsoever.

> Would you let your
> brakes run metal to metal waiting for to save money for German parts or
> would you put on whatever you could to keep it on the road?

JP may have had something of value to offer the list. If you read my first
email about it, I actually asked if there were some way to accomodate such
posts. If anything, I tried to diffuse the situation and *allow* somewhat
commercial posts. Really! Check what I wrote...

Again, I offer the following opinion:
> > Dave, JP didn't get banned because he offered deals. He got
> banned because
> > he insulted the list as a whole and then even on a personal level.
> > Considering that the guy came out of nowhere with it all, I
> > think it was a very appropriate response.
> >
> > That fellow needs to learn some social skills.

P.S. I've got a decent job because I was frugal and invested wisely -not
because I was given anything in life. I come from a challenged background
and struggled for *many* years. At this point I sacrafice a great amount so
that I can afford to feed my VW/hotrod habit. So, I can totally appreciate
where you are coming from as much as I appreciate a good parts deal.
Scrounging is half the fun for me anyway.

Inasmuch as all this is true... JP was still a jerkoff to the list. PLONK!
Scott F. Williams
Account Manager
GENUiTY - Eastern Region
100 Wall Street, 10th Floor