RE: Shimmy especially when turning left?

     When was the last time you checked the ball joints?  Jack up the front end
and give both wheels a good wiggle.  All directions, but especially top to
bottom.  It should give you a good idea of which bits are failing if it isn't
ball joints.  You're also going to need to pay attention to movement in the
tie-rod ends.
      Do you get shimmy in a straight line?  At what speed does it really
become noticeable?  If you don't get the shimmy at highway speeds in a straight
line, I would think it almost has to be steering related.  My experience is
that CV joints make really kewl clunky noises when they're failing, I've never
experienced shimmy from them.

Cheers,
Colin