Re: How tight should it be?

>That got your attention I am sure...
>The rear wheel bearing I replaced last weekend worked loose again. I
>tightened till I could just move the washer under the nut & replaced
>the cotter pin with a new one. Is this right?
>I am also STILL getting the noise from the front of the car when the
>wheels roll. At 30 mph it clicks or rubs at about twice a sceond.
>The wheels are rolling fatser than that. Any ideas guys?
>
>Sorry bout the teaser subject line (not!)
>
>>>THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
>Never be afraid to try something new.
>Remember that amateurs built the ark. . . . .
>Professionals built the Titanic.
>
>Julie Macfarlane

I've never had a rear wheel bearing set (that I've replaced) go bad on me,
knock on fake laminated wood.

My method has always been to crank the stub axle nut down tightly to
seat the bearings tightly (no slop), then I back off the nut until I
can turn the drum or disc freely with no dragging.  Probably around a
1/4 turn.

YMMV of course.  Ah, good to be back. :)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net