Re: How tight should it be?

--- Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:
> That got your attention I am sure...

Oh yeah, it sure did!

> The rear wheel bearing I replaced last weekend worked loose again. I
> tightened till I could just move the washer under the nut & replaced
> the
> cotter pin with a new one. Is this right?

OK...a few notes and thoughts on rear wheel bearings...

1. Better a *little* loose than a little tight.  Your technique sounds
like it may be too loose.

2. You may have only fully seated the races by driving it around.  I
like to tighten the nut *gently* while rotating the drum/disk (don't
want to brinell the races or flat spot the rollers).  Then back off as
Brett suggested.  With the wheel on, you are allowed the slightest bit
of bearing play.

3. Be sure you greased the hell out of the bearings.  If you don't have
a packer, put a blob of grease in your palm, then take little bites of
it with the perimeter of the bearing, working grease up from one end of
the rollers until it comes out the top.  (axially along roller, not
radially).  You *can't* overgrease these bearings.

4. In my experience, a bad wheel (roller-style) bearing moans, groans,
or sings.  Then it sounds crunchy.  Then your wheel wobbles and maybe
falls off.  I have never heard them click....but that's only my
experience.

> I am also STILL getting the noise from the front of the car when the
> wheels
> roll. At 30 mph it clicks or rubs at about twice a sceond. The wheels
> are
> rolling fatser than that. Any ideas guys?

This sounds like once/rev of the wheel, and would lead me to think
front wheel bearing (roller) or CV joint.  What happens if you press
the clutch in?  Place in neutral?  That could indicate driveaxle
issues.  Make sure your inner CV's are on tight!  I have seen them very
loose or missing on several cars!

> Sorry bout the teaser subject line (not!)

Why doesn't that surprise me?

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

Stupid is as stupid does.
-F. Gump