Re: How tight should it be?

At 09:59 PM 11/3/01 +0000, Julie Macfarlane wrote:
>That got your attention I am sure...
>The rear wheel bearing I replaced last weekend worked loose again. I
>tightened till I could just move the washer under the nut & replaced the
>cotter pin with a new one. Is this right?
>I am also STILL getting the noise from the front of the car when the
>wheels roll. At 30 mph it clicks or rubs at about twice a sceond. The
>wheels are rolling fatser than that. Any ideas guys?
>
>Julie Macfarlane
>(Web Developer)

Julie,  according to my Bentleys the you tightened it right(just able to
move the thrust washer-with a screwdriver), but
you don't mention the little piece that goes over the nut and engages the
cotter pin.  The nut can't really back off with
this on; are you missing them?

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.