I'm an idiot.

I'm an idiot. I have a 4k transmission in my 85 16v. 3rd and 4th gear
synchos are basically toast (have been for a while). I've been "living" with
it until I figure out what to do. I think I figured out I'm going to buy a
new transmission soon!
There's a 944 that I've seen on the road back to work after lunch, for a few
days now. Every time traffic sucks so we just go our own ways after revving
up 1st and second gears at each other.  This time he took a frontage road in
front of me (about 6-7 car lengths) so I followed. Going up through 3rd (he
was on it trying to keep me that 1/8th mile behind him too!), hit 7 grand,
went to shift into fourth, shifted too fast and the bad synchro didn't catch
and I got neutral. No biggy, go for 4th again (double clutch it), hit 2nd!
Uh-oh... Second lasted for about 1/10th of a second, but I felt something
hit the bottom of the car (damndamndamnDAMNSHITSHITdamndamn). I stopped in a
parking lot. No leaks, no seeable holes in trans (whew!). All motor mounts
in place, no noticeable missing bolts/nuts/etc...   Oookkaaayyy?!?!?!

So now, deceleration is 1st gear (say, driving through a parking lot) sounds
rough. Feels a bit rough too. Other gears "feel" rough, but I'm not sure if
it's my paranoid imagination either.

So here's the deal, I'm gonna find another 4K . But while I'm at it, I want
to upgrade to a nice clutch/flywheel combo. What's the heftiest street-able
(and affordable) pressure plate I can get for it? And what's the best 8V
disk? Can I take my old flywheel to a machine shop with the new pressure
plate and have them lighten and balance the assembly for me?
And anybody got a 4K transmission they want to sell for less then $200?

Joshua Hignight
Student Services/Technical Services
New Mexico Campus
(505) 821-4800