RE: Anyone replace their lug bolts with studs and nuts?

Studs or bolts, the attachment point can get warped given the proper
conditions.  Gene Berg recommended that you get Beetle wheels balanced once
they are bolted to the drum, and don't reinstall them without rebalancing
the assembly, because of the slight deflections in the drum caused by
torquing the bolts down.  Of course, this applies mostly to high-speed stuff
and isn't practical for street applications.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle