Re: MKI stereo Qs?

Anthony Pelletier wrote:

> I think Scott W. brought this up last week, but I drag
> it up again.  I am looking for pictures or ideas, too.
>  I need to install a halfway decent radio in my MKI I.
>  I will probably buy a 4 channel amp.  (I am thinking
> 75 X 4 RMS).  I will use the am to power a sub and a
> component set up front.

You might even consider two amps; this opens up the possibilities for
mounting, they don't need those long runs of hi powered wires, you can
get two smaller amps, one of them can be a 3 channel amp with the right
pass filter (cross-over) for the sub.

> Here are my problems:
> What to use for a sub.  It has to be small and LIGHT
> (lightweight is key) and sound good.  I don't need
> earth shattering bass.  Maybe 1 10" or a 12"

You can get real decent sound out of an 8" sub. It won't make the car
hop into the other lane but you want 'nice' sound, right? Is fidelity
what your after? Or do you want to impress others?

I have been researching this a bit (fell off lately actually) and found a
good place to find out tutorial type stuff is Blaubunkt's web site;
<http://www.blaupunkt.com>, they have DIY info and a sub calculator.

> Next were can you mount at least a 5 1/4" speaker in a
> MKI?  Does anyone have a picture of custom built kick
> panels?  I don't really want to build anything off the
> doors because I am short and sit with the seat really
> close to the steering wheel and already have enough
> trouble getting out of the car.
> Any ideas?  Or pics of your install?
> Tony

There are guys (Was it Mark or Randy?) that did What I was going to do-
51/2 behind the place the current 4x6 is. (It was Randy, I remember
now). I have a set of separates with cross-overs to match from some
online sale.

I also have an 8" sub for installation _somewere_.  Unboxed as of yet.

- I am picking this email up where I left off; I was just looking for my
6x9 boxes and can't find them so I think I might drop some quickie
speakers in the (already cut) rear shelf I have.

No wrap up at the end, no punch line.
TBerk