RE: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

To put my two cents of "common sense" in this conversation the recommended
oil DEPENDS on the heat/cold factors of your area
if you put 20w50 and you live in Alaska, It love to see try to cold start
your engine without any heating devices( i.e.: oil pan and block heaters
units) it is just not realistic, THAT IS WHY on the chart of your owner's
manual (Bentley, Chilton, Haynes ) indicate a "suggested temperature range
and the appropriate oil to use in those conditions"

In Canada.. 10w40 or even 10w30 in winter is VERY realistic, 10w40 and up in
summer (but it RARELY gets 90'F (40'C) up there
now in warm climate (i.e. TEXAS for example) 20w50 summer and 10w40 in
winter * it freezes in Dallas in winter* is again realistic... its all about
where you live and what the climate conditions are about.

In Texas I run 20w50, in Canada where I am stuck right now I use 10w40. case
closed.

for all the people that have no idea what I am taking, here is the run down
from the Bentley

oil          temp range
Multigrade oil:

5w20/5w30     -20F/-30C to 20'F/5'C
10w30/10w40   -5F/-22C  to 65'F/15'C
15w30/15w40   0'F/-18'C to 90'F/33'C
20w40/20w50   10'F/-5'C to 90'F/33'c

single grade oil:

saew10         -5'F/-22'C to 28'F/-4'C
sae20w20       10'F/-12'C to 55'F/12'C
sae30          30'F/-2'C  to 90'F/33'C
sae40          65'F/18'C  to 110'F/42'C

Page 2-8 (1985-93 Bentley reference)
Table C. Oil Viscosity Requirements Vs Temperature (16 V Engine)

Note Table B. on page 2-7 is the one for any engine except 16v
but is almost identical to table b on page 2-8

Patrick Bureau
1985 8v Titian Red Scirocco
http://longcoeur.com/scirocco
SCA-Name Lord Patric de Long Coeur