5W30 synthetic in an 8V - was: What Oil to Use in a 16V and 8V?

I thought I'd jump in on this.
Living in NorCal the temp ranges from 35 - 95 thru the year.
When I ran conventional oil, I usually ran 20W50 in the summer and 10W40 in
the winter.
Now that I have switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic I run 5W30 all year long.
My new tt motor (now over 20K on it) has always run a little cold, this has
helped bring the oil temps back up.

Why????

Ok here is my warped view of the whole thing. :) (I am not an engineer!-I
just play one on TV)
The thicker the oil, the more drag the motor has on it's internal contact
parts.
If synthetic is so much better then conventional at lubrication and can
handle much higher heat extremes why would you need to use the same weight?
My theory is that 5W30 synthetic probably protects the motor as well and
probably better than 10W40 conventional.
Same lubrication and engine protection with less drag.  :)

Have I completely lost my marbles 8]
Does anyone else out there think this makes sense?
*****If this is wrong, please learn me a little :^)*****

Randy