OT: how to build sound system?

Folks, Until now I haven't given much thought to car audio. However, I've
finally said "enough is
enough; I want some sound!" :^) Especially if I make it out to Duan's, I
want to cruise with some tunes. Anyway, I'm hoping that the audiophiles can
help me with this.

The goal is a full system that offers tight bass, is relatively *compact and
light*, and will comfortably fit  within a $1k budget. When I say "full", I
mean a balanced system with a decent sound stage. I have no interest in
rocking the whole  neighborhood with boomy bass. Sound clarity and decent
interior volume is all I want.

I'm thinking that I might want: cd-player, 8" drivers in a full-range ported
enclosure, a modest subwoofer(?), etc.

And here are some specific concerns:
a) are head units available with a jack output for headphones or input for
adding other devices like casette decks, etc?

b) MP3 support?

c) where do you place the front speakers (mid-range or otherwise) and how
about tweeters? Or, do I even need to get this elaborate? Thanks, guys!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!