Re: OT: how to build sound system?

"Scott F. Williams" wrote:

> Folks, Until now I haven't given much thought to car audio. However, I've
> finally said "enough is
> enough; I want some sound!" :^) Especially if I make it out to Duan's, I
> want to cruise with some tunes. Anyway, I'm hoping that the audiophiles can
> help me with this.

I'm taking a 5 min 'Open a Guinness' break but really I am under the car
installing Trans right now.

> The goal is a full system that offers tight bass, is relatively *compact and
> light*, and will comfortably fit  within a $1k budget. When I say "full", I
> mean a balanced system with a decent sound stage. I have no interest in
> rocking the whole  neighborhood with boomy bass. Sound clarity and decent
> interior volume is all I want.

You can get a whole lotta sound for 1k; I'll need to follow up on  this
later but lets see what stream of conscience will provide in the short
term.

Tight bass = good, boomy = bad. Easy to get total large db, harder to
have clarity & power.

> I'm thinking that I might want: cd-player, 8" drivers in a full-range ported
> enclosure, a modest subwoofer(?), etc.

Those 8" drivers could _be_ your modest subs. Separates usually come in
51/2"=61/2" range for the drivers, and tweeters are of course uh,
separate. These combined with some 8" or 10" bass drivers will fill the
car nicely, even with a noisy exhaust.

You want to avoid fatigue. Accurate reproductions aids in this.

Check out Blaupunkt's web site for some DIY details.

> And here are some specific concerns:
> a) are head units available with a jack output for headphones or input for
> adding other devices like casette decks, etc?

Yes, but you have to shop around. Some of them aren't on the front but
are on the back so you add a lead to an accessible place, or hardwire it
in behind the scenes.

> b) MP3 support?

Dunno, haven't cared much- lossy compression.

> c) where do you place the front speakers (mid-range or otherwise) and how
> about tweeters? Or, do I even need to get this elaborate? Thanks, guys!
> --
> Scott F. Williams

Depends on the dash; Mk2 and Rabbit/Golfs get those cole speaker grills
up top, good for imaging. Mk1s have door pockets with the dreaded 4x6m
oval speakers in them. Plates with round 4" drivers and separately
placed tweeters are the bomb here, but Blau has improved the 4x6s a
little.

More later,
the grease & grime are calling me.

TBerk